<span class="highlight">SIMPSON</span> BIKE TRIP REPORT JULY 2008 (long)

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:01
ThreadID: 59635 Views:7366 Replies:13 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
This trip's obectives were to cross the Simpson from east to west
on trail bikes supported by 4wd's.
I had organized it to coincide with my 60th birthday and my sons
18th, thinking that it may be the only time we could both be legal
and fit enough to do the 400km ride together.

In the end the 4 cars and 6 bikes crossed the desert safely despite many issues.

Vehicles
Bikes -> RMZ250 (sons),Drz400 (mine) ,Xr400, TTr230,KTM 250,Ktm 450.
Cars -> Patrol 4800, Nissan Navara, Range Rover and 105 series Landcruiser.

People 14, including 2 female and 5 male bike riders.

The vehicles left independantly from Melbourne to meet up at the "always burning" campfire at Copley C'van Park some 500km south of Birdsville.

The two main vehicles (our Patrol and the Navara) towed trailers purpose built for the trip each with 3 trail bikes.
Each car had 4 drivers, and in our case enabled us to leave a day later and drive thru the night to do the 1400km to Copley at 90kmh by sunset friday evening.

Next day we travelled the Birdsville track leaving at 8am after getting the Copley coffee shop out of bed to serve breakfast.
Apparently not many take the shops 7am opening time literally.

After a great breakfast, we headed off to Marree and to get our desert parks passes but we arrived on the day that new owners took it over. The old owners had removed the eftpos BAR Scanner and taken all the passes as these were not part of the sale.
The new mob were in a panic and mad as hell when they realized our group needed 9 passes amounting to $945 worth of lost sales.

We left Marree before the others and drove the track at 80kmh with our tyres at 24psi cold.
Our friends played tourist for a couple of hours and drove faster to catch us just as we entered Birdsville some 8 hours later.
Next morning they awoke to 1 flat on the car and 1/2 flat on the trailer.
I checked their pressures which were 37psi cold.

The night before we arrived at the Birdsville pub just in time to find out that they were low on food and had run out of desserts but still we had a good time.
A local, noticing that my son was wearing motor bike gear asked if he had come for the Birdsville races.
No! not the horse races but the motor bike gymkarna races the next morning.
He invited us to attend and next morning my son and a friend rode to the track and he entered the main event, hoping that their Victorian Recreational Registration would satisfy any inquiring officals.
Against the much bigger bikes his Rmz-250 got the fastest time and we held our breath as another dozen riders tried to beat it, and "Mark from Victoria in the pretty gear", as the announcer had begun to call him, won by 7/100ths of a second.
He walked over and picked up the winners $375 cheque and we left town for Big Red immediately.
Well actually, via the bakery where we had asked for vegetarian pies.
After some strange looks, the owner came out and said "We have just baked 300 pies for the event, but someone left the meat out, there now mostly pumkin pies, do you want some? "
We weren't sure if we were being had and that this was an attempt to claw back some of the prize money - but hey, I tried one and they were great so we picked up a dozen
as we left town.

The weather was perfect, I had watched the statistics and noted that it hadn't rained in Birdsville for 3 weeks. On this basis I had made the last minute decision to remove my cars winch, chains and other items to save some 70kg of unnecessary weight.
Imagine what we thought when just before the Big Red sand dune the road was covered by a lake some 150meters wide and 1/2 meter deep. We are fairly used to this but it was a pretty imposing sight for first timers.
Knowing the ropes, we drove a straight line thru the middle slowly and without issues.
However our mates behind went faster in their cars and bikes which resulted in two throughly soaked riders and one trailer and its bikes covered in mud.

Shortly after we arrived at Big Red for an obligitory play before making for Eyre Creek, our nights camping site.

Big Red was just a ball for the bikes which simply went straight up the hardest path and jumped over the top lip landing in the soft sand beyond.

It was now one hour from sunset, we had played enough and turned for Eyre creek, our first nights destination and the start of the real drive.
All the water had gone by Eyre Creek and its crossings was completely dry (30/6/8).

Whilst this trip was for the bike riders it was my wife's first ever desert drive.
In our preparation drives I had left her with a simple instruction -
"When there's a hill, just check its in first gear high range and accelerate to order".
Despite recent releases, the petrol 4800 Patrol still has the highest power to weight ratio of the big wagons and a wide torque spread. I was counting on this and to make the drive easier for my wife and to remove the need to change to low range.
I also retarded the timing 5 degrees and was running my smallest tyres, BFG AT 265/75/16's

On the way to Eyre Creek I followed close behind my car on the Drz400 with the rest of the convoy behind us, except for our son on his motocross bike who was already a long way ahead of the group.

We had set the Patrols tyres to 18psi cold and its trailer at 12psi and they were handling the track with ease.

We drove on in the prefect conditions for a while just cruising the dunes ,working the radios and getting into the rythmn for what would be a much harder drive to-morrow.

Close to Eyre Creek at a dune peak, my wife swerved across the track and just avioded a red 20lt fuel container. I stopped and picked it up, at first thinking I hadn't secured it properly. It was full of petrol but it wasn't mine!
One of our bike riders had also picked up some full water containers.

As we pulled up on the edge of Eyre creek to camp I saw my son ahead talking to some bike riders and they all came back to our camp.

Then a story began to unfold - 3 riders, dad and two sons, on heavy Drz650's were attempting to cross the desert unsupported to raise funds for cancer research under
the banner of "TheHardWayRound".
The petrol was theirs and had fallen off an overloaded bike, so was the water.
They had long range 30lt tanks fitted and heavy paniers.
They were stuffed physically and had just decided to turn back.
They had effectivily lowered their 3 bike's air intakes for more power and drowned one bike in the lake in front of the Big Red dune and had taken 3 hours to pull it apart and get it going again. Somewhat exhausted, and with heavily
laden bikes they had made hard going of this first relatively easy section.
One rider had gone down and was trapped under his bike without the strength to lift it off till a radio call brought help. But he was knocked around and together with the loss of fuel and water, their journey was over.

Very dejected they set up their single small tent some distance from our group.
They dried out a few things around our camp fire, but they would not except help from us like a hot meal or even a cup of coffee.
To do this would have apparently compromised the basis of their sponsors support.
I walked over to them and handed them their fuel back. This seemed to create a sort of physcological breakthru and they couldn't stop thanking us enough.
Over the next few hours the mood lightenend and they seemed genuinely impressed that families like ours were tackling the desert together.
Our landcruiser and Navara friends offered to carry all their excess gear which amounted to some 20kg per bike and by the end of the night they agreed to tackle the next section to Peoppels.
But they would ride ahead and maintain their independence.

Our trip plan, did not call for us to travel together but to meet each hour or so at 30km intervals across the desert. The bikes and cars had GPSes loaded with these waypoint. This allowed for various people to travel at their own speed, whilst staying within radio range if help was needed.

Next day 9am after a memorable camp, we headed off. The dunes crests began to get steeper and softer and it soon became apparent that pulling the trailers wasn't going to be easy, any mistake would result in a bogged vehicle.
We dropped tyres to 16psi (10 for the trailer) and continued on.
After a couple of near misses in my car and a couple of snatches of other vehicles I decided that it was time to introduce my wife to locker diffs which I had completely negelected during our practise drives back home.
This gave us back the traction but she wasn't always picking the best lines up hills.
Our friend in the fully decked 105 landcruiser now took over the lead of the cars and his help saved the day and my wife drove glued to the back of this car for much of the remaining trip.
To support the above process my brother and I stayed near the cars on our bikes, often riding to the tops of dunes first, looking out for oncoming traffic and assisting by calling the track ahead.

We saw only 3 or 4 other vehicles this day and our other bike riders were getting a bit bored, they often found themselves 1/2 hour early at stops and would make flat areas in the sand and play noughts and crosses against themselves till the chuck wagons showed up.

Approaching Poeppels Corner the salt lake was pretty dry with slight mush off the track. Our new found bike friends on the Cancer research ride were already at Poeppels and had made much better going without their heavy loads.
We all collected for a photo shoot then found a camp spot amongst the dunes an hour before sunset.
Some of our riders hadn't had enough and put on a bit of a show jumping over dunes etc whilst we set up camp and got a nice fire going.

Another lovely day dawned and we headed off right on time at 9am again whilst our Navara team sleep in again, despite the owners best efforts to drag his two daughters out of bed.
West from Poeppel's is the heart of this track. It gets more barren and desolate and its just dune after dune. The sand was softer but not as bad as in previous years. However we made slow progress averaging some 20km/hr. After lunch a sand storm blew up swirling sand, dropping visibility,
particularly for the riders. Riding got harder and mistakes were being made.
Somehow my bike was the only one not to suffer a breakage.
"Thats because your so slow", said son to dad whilst cleaning oil off his now leaking fronks forks and trying to tape up his broken GPS mount.
The visibilty didn't worry my wife as she sat doggedly a cars length from the leading Cruiser. The Navara wasn't handling the situation as cleanly.
Lack of suspension travel in it and its trailer meant it bounced around a lot more and it required a few snatches, but we pushed on.

We were behind schedule and pushed on towards the Colson track junction and sunset. We probably should have stopped eariler as whilst the wind and blown dust was down, it was now very hard to see ahead as you approach a dune top where you swing north then turn at the top, straight into the setting sun and then swing south. Three more of the bikes had been dropped and broken lights by now and our Range Rover ended up on a precarious angle after partly slipping off the track edge. At one point I was following our Narava when it went over a steep off chambered dune, the girl driving it had the steering on the wrong full lock and the car was ploughing in setting herself up for a rollover. I radio'ed from my bike "Right hand down,
Right hand down" and she responded quickly and saved it.
This was a real heart stopping moment and I'm sure that only the trailer holding back the car prevented a bad scene.

We camped in the clear area about 500m north of the Colson/French line junction after a hard day and were all in bed before 10pm.

We awoke early, to the sound of dingoes howling around camp
and were all up early despite this being the coldest night at 0c.
Just as well as running lighting for the campsite had run down my battery and created much fun with a "Cruiser jump starting a Patrol" photo opportunity.

Everyone was in a good mood. We should make Dalhousie this night and we set off after the camp rebels set up a 220g empty(almost) gas cannister vertically in the hot coals and after 1 minute it went off like a rocket shooting over 100ft into the air. Didn't see the dingoes after that and we all drove off in good spirits.

This last day was one in which I think we all fully appreciated the beauty of the desert. The weather was back to perfect and the dunes weren't quite as hard and were more scenic. The trail bikes enabled us to enjoy the trip more than I have ever done in the car. You would ride to the top of a dune, high above
the track and turn off the engine.
You could just sit there in perfect silence, taking in the views whilst waiting for the cars. This was only possible as my son had now perfected his riding style and would simply ride up a dune face and jump right over the the switchback path the cars needed to take.
This left him far ahead of the rest of us and avioded unexpected oncoming traffic.
Bikes and oncoming traffic were my biggest concern on this trip, and whilst we used UHF15 amongst our group we had a second radio on UHF10, and this kept us aware of the few other vehicles.

By morning tea we were at the French/Rig rd and the main desert ride was behind us.
We stopped at Purnie Bore for a last lunch together as we were to go our seperate ways from Dalhousie.

The Cancer research riders were still with us and whilst I made cappicino's they lunched on their vita wheat biscuit each, dipped in peanut butter and followed up with a handful of Sultana's.
Finally they excepted something from us - a can of cold soft drink!
They had billed their ride across Australia as the "HardWayRound" and I can assure their backers that they were true to their word.

Couple of hours later and we were all soaking in Dalhousies warm springs on another warm and clear outback day.

Time for goodbyes. Despite a whole stack of other incidents left out of this short note, all had made the crossing without significant injury and in good spirits. At the outset I was concerned about the girls on the bikes holding us up, but while they suffered more than their share of broken bike bits they had more than kept up.
Many firsts were achieved for our group, no one even got temporalily lost.
However the ladies that drove our cars pulling trailers as their first Simpson driving experiences deserve a lot of the credit.

I will probably never ride the Simpson again but the memories we take away from this trip will last a long time and I would like to sincerly thank everybody involved, from those that helped build our homemade trailer to the seemingly endless construction of other special bits which allowed our Patrol to carry 4 adults, 3 bikes and all their gear and supplies across the Simpson without the use of roof racks or even blocking our cars rearward view.

Our friends in the Navara and Range Rover now headed off to Mt Dare as Dalhousie camping wasn't too inviting and our "HardWayRound" riders re-fitted their
paniers and gear (minus the no longer needed jerry) onto their bikes and headed off on their way to Alice and more adventures.

We camped at Dalhouise with our Cruiser friends.
My riding was over so we loaded the worn out Rmz250 onto the trailer and my son and brother continued to ride to Oodnadatta via Pedrika.
On this section the only nasty incident of our trip occurred when an oncoming Pajero effectively ran my son off the road on the gibber plains.
Thank goodness, he was able to get the front wheel up as the bike went over the rock filled roadside ditch, at the cost of a few bruises.
I'd like to think the Paj driver just swerved to miss one of the many rocks lying on this track, and if someone can give me his rego munber, I would like to send him a postcard.

Fuel use - the manual petrol 4800 Patrol used 18lt/100km on the tow up and we made it from Birdsville to Oodnadatta using just the cars 145lt main tank which meant an excellant 25lt/100km for us towing the trailer.
My Drz400, ran out of fuel 1km from the Pink Roadhouse 176km from Dalhousie and my son who was on it, laid the bike down sloshing just enough dreggs into the carbie for him to make it. This bike used 7lt/100km across the desert.

We hoped to get in some more riding on the way home to Melbourne, but my brothers XR400 had lost oil and compression and was out of action.
The back sprocket on my sons Rmz250 race bike had also stripped all its teeth and its chain was shot, but we picked up spares for it at Pt Augusta.
We then spent another magic afternoon riding round salt lakes and jumping dune's at Yorkeys Crossing.
This last ride was just shear fun, except when we broke thru the crust on one lake, and it set us up for the remaining 1100km drive back home the next day.

Robin Miller
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:37

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:37
Hi Robin,

An excellent read, glad to hear all went well, no injuries and you can tell you had an absolute ball - well done.

It brings back my memories of my enduro racing on my IT200 many moons ago. I know the gear we needed for a days event filled up our vehicles so can only imagine the effort that went into packing it all into a vehicle for an extended trip.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 314656

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 17:55

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 17:55
Hi Robin

Great report, good as the Dakar Rally, sounds like a terrific adventure.

Cheers
Daza
FollowupID: 580730

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:41

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:41
Sounds awesome I am very jealous
AnswerID: 314660

Reply By: Best Off Road - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:50

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:50
Robin,

Amazing stuff.

That's the kind of thing your lad will be telling his granchildren about.

Jim.

AnswerID: 314668

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 13:47

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 13:47
Your Right Jim

You know sometimes these things get a bit exaggerated but this was the real thing.

Just briefly , while my son is right up there on a motocross track
he only has had his L plates for a couple of weeks, and this was the very first time he had driven that bike onto bitumen road and thru a town.

To then front up to a totally strange crowd, 2000km from home, with almost everyone else riding bigger 450's and take $20 of his own pocket money (he is still high school student) and lay it down as an entry fee, in an event of the type he has never ridden before and win , will be a memory he will have for a long time.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 580701

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 13:13

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 13:13
Robin, having been a last minute support vehicle for a group of bikers going west east in the early 80's, I thoroughly enjoyed your report. In fact I was right there with every reported experience. Many thanks for jogging some old memories, and I'm pleased that yours was a successful crossing :))
AnswerID: 314669

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 14:05

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 14:05
Hi Robin,

Great report and from accounts a great trip. I was just wondering what was Mrs Miller’s view of the trip – did she enjoy her part? I know you put in some serious effort to prepare her for the journey and we were all with you on that one! And sometimes they don’t feel included – mine has often said “you didn’t ask me!”etc.

Kind regards

Theo
AnswerID: 314674

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 17:54

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 17:54
Mrs Miller certainly had an experience on this trip Theo.

The practise drives etc that I went thru pre-trip played there part
but it was only as the trip got closer that I fully appreciated just
what she was up for.
For the guys the bike ride was always going to be an adventure to look forward to.

For Mrs Miller, who usually brings some knitting, this trip was much harder.
She had to drive, as her first desert drive, across the Simpson in a car hampered by a trailer and be in the car alone, all day for 4 days.

My theory was, make the car as easy as possible to drive and if it bogged I would be there to get it out.

Apart from going up the wrong track for 20m once the car didn't have to be backed up once, and this was her biggest concern.
This is about the only time I have felt that an auto would have been easier.

As from my report, I didn't want anybody inexperienced pressing the lock button in my car when a wheel was spinning so I left these things out.
In the end it became necessary to use lockers on about 20 dunes, and the plan we had was whenever you approach a big hill , stop and engage then drive the hill.
Take no chances, and with radio help and a lead vehicle this worked.

As the car pulled the trailer over dune after dune she became more confident and by the end of the trip she was actually enjoying it.

She has had a real personnel achievement and this is part of what makes 4wding so wonderful, and makes a family grow together.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 580727

Reply By: Stu & "Bob" - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 15:18

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 15:18
G'day Robin,

Great report, and a really good read. Enjoyed every bit of it, and brought back a few memories too!

AnswerID: 314682

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 18:24

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 18:24
Hi Robin,
Great trip report mate! Later on the same day that you and I met at the servo in Birdsville, I met the "HardWayRound" guys near Big Red. We picked up that jerry can as well! It was bloated from the fuel and we they had lost it about 1/2 way up Little Red. "Dad" biker was asking one of the sons to pick it up on the way through, but we suggested it would be safer if we got it for them, which we did. They apparently were headed for Poeppel Corner then, and that was early afternoon on the Sunday! I thought of them a few days later when we drove the QAA back from Poeppels, only then realizing what they were attempting at that hour of the day! They are great guys though, and were doing it for a good cause. Good on you for keeping an eye on them!!

AnswerID: 314700

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 07:55

Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 07:55
Hi Brian

So you also picked up the petrol once before us !
Clearly they had underestimated the desert and their bikes were overloaded , they weren't in this best shape when we caught them , and the cold and wet clothing can be mean on a bike.
It really was a total contrast the next day , just cruising along in the warm sunshine, now that our group were carrying the excess load
It still took the best part of that day as well to get to Poeppels.
But by the end of the trip everbody was enjoying the ride.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 580835

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 17:39

Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 17:39
Hi Robin,

I searched for their web site and found they've added a page on their Simpson adventure. In case you haven't seen the page, the link is here
FollowupID: 580883

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 15:45

Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 15:45
Thanks Brian

I haven't seen that.

We are feeling all warm and fuzzy now - glad we were both able to help out.

Actually , they told us that they rode WR250 enduro bikes and stuff back home and I sought of assumed they were more into it than that report states.

Spent half of today cleaning red dust out of everthing , but we
have started talking today about an easier return trip perhaps based in Birdsville instead of crossing desert , with a mind to get most out of the $420 dollars in passes I had to buy.

Thanks again.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 581035

Reply By: Member - Bob S (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 20:22

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 20:22
Hi Robin,

A great report of a wonderful trip.
I remember reading your earlier posts on preparing yourself and Mrs Miller for the trip and had wondered if you all arrived safely.
Sounds like you had a terrific time.
We took a Camper Trailer from west to east last year and also had a ball. Reading your report brought back great memories.
The Simpson is an unbelievable place.

Well done!

Cheers,
Bob
AnswerID: 314714

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 20:41

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 20:41
nice one Robin,

a Father with every right to be proud of his Wife and Sons.

a great desert experience together.

i like it.
AnswerID: 314717

Reply By: Member - Madfisher - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 21:23

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 21:23
Great read Robin, thank you for posting.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 314727

Reply By: Member - swagman(VIC) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 22:45

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 22:45
a very good read,glad you enjoyed a great trip and a safe one
AnswerID: 314750

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 13:57

Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 13:57
Great read Robin!! Glad it all went well and you guys had a great time.

An adventure you'll talk about for years. Good on ya's!!
AnswerID: 314821

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2008 at 09:18

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2008 at 09:18
FURTHER NOTE

Thanks for all positive comments guys.

Our friends that left us at Dalhousie have arrived home now with some interesting and concerning points worth noting.

First one of them left their tailgate down and dropped lots of bits on way to Mt Dare. Our "Hardwayround" riders left dalhousie a bit later and ended up picking up several of their items along the way and were really pleased at being able to return something to our group after, in their words "Saving there trip , after the most depressing few hours of there lives , out of Birdsville"

On the way to Alice though mechanical problems hit the two cars, the Navara blew the top out of a new Koni shock.

The Range Rover water pump pulley fractured and boiled the motor near Kulgera.

The had RACV victoria "Total Care" and were shocked as the fine print kicked in.

Their main surprise was that the benefits of Total care apparently don't kick in until you have been towed somewhere and had your situation evaluated.

Your have to pay upfront for that tow - even though you stand to get some of it back later if you meet the conditions.

Hence they had to pay upfront for a tow to nearset place , Alice springs 250km away.

They had to fork out $845 for towing on the roadside before anything else would happen.
Later they found that "Total Care" covers some accomodation, of up to $110/day for two days.

You guessed it - it took more than 2 days for part to arrive and nearby motel was $130 for the family.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 315389

Sponsored Links